Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:26:18 -0400

Anonymous User wrote:
> I've recently interviewed at several companies, and in each case, the
> hiring manager has asked "How much do you want?" Some of them asked
> at the beginning of the interview, some have asked in a follow-up
> chat after the interview.
>
> Professional recruiters tell me a) whoever mentions a number first
> loses the negotiation b) we ask so we can see what the market is
> without bothering to do research (!).

I feel that being able to state with confidence what you really believe you are
worth, gives you credibility. There seems to be some societal conditioning
against talking money, and nervousness discussing money is often misinterpreted
as insecurity.

I like to give a ball park figure, but also state that the salary I require is
influenced by many other factors, such as benefit packages, telecommuting
opportunities, tuition aid program, professional growth opportunity, stock
options, etc.

> I've tried such responses as, "What am I worth to your company?"
> or, "What ballpark are you playing in?" They respond with,
> "I don't know what our budget is for this (then how will they know
> if I am in the same region they are?) until I talk to the Head
> Budgeteer." or, "We have promoted from within for so long we don't
> know what the market is." or, "We have a broad range of salaries, so
> I don't know yet what we can offer you." The only possible answer
> I can think of is, "I want as much as I can get." and, if really
> pressed, to name a high but not astronomical figure.

Go to the interview armed with the latest STC salary survey information for
your region, and when they respond they don't know what the market is, you can
counter with useful information that will also demonstrate that you know your
worth.

> The latest one is a company that won't entertain further discussion
> or make an offer until I fill out their application form, and they
> won't look at the application until I put a number in the box.

So figure out what you feel is the minimum you would accept, add 10% to that
figure and write it in the box. I like to do something like "$XX,XXX+ Neg".

I want the most I can get as well, and I know that some tech writers in this
area are making $100,000 plus. But not me. And that's okay. Yes, maybe I
could have held out for a job that paid more, but chances are I might have
ended up with either nothing or a lot less. I stated my salary requirements
before the interview, which is something most people say not to do. I
mentioned it along with the understanding that their time was valuable (as is
mine), and neither of us should waste time going through an exercise in
futility. If I won't work for $40,000 and they can't pay in the ballpark of
what I'm asking, we don't really have a lot to discuss.

If I was selling my house and somebody asked how much I wanted for it, I would
not hesitate to state a figure - I would not say "Gee - I don't know - how much
do you want to pay for it?" I would do my homework and find out what houses
like mine are worth in my area, determine a figure, then state it. I can go
down a bit - but not a lot. If I can do that for my house, you can bet I can
do that for my skills.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while, I was a suspect.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=