Estimate for computer software manuals

Subject: Estimate for computer software manuals
From: Sano Steam PA <sanopa -at- ZBZOOM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:02:06 -0400

Hi All!

I am new to the contracting world (but not to tech writing), and need some
assistance putting together a bid for a client (my first). I have been
contacted to develop some training manuals for Citrix WinFrame and MetaFrame
for both the user and the Administrative levels (4 different manuals), and
need to know how much to charge. The only help I have gotten is from
previous co-workers, who have told me to allow 40 hours of documentation and
development time per one hour of training material - does this sound
correct? Also, what about an hourly rate? And, if the same material will be
covered in different manuals, do I include that time twice, or just once?
What about the expense of reproducing the manuals - do I include that, or
just note in my proposal that my bid does not cover the cost of copying?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, please respond off the list to
bsrour -at- email -dot- com -dot-

Barbara Srour

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=