Re: Webster's copyrights?

Subject: Re: Webster's copyrights?
From: Debbie Packer <dpacker -at- STINGRAYBOATS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:32:00 -0400

Thanks for the input. I don't really have anything to do with the ad
department or what they do, it just interested me.

I'm amazed at those who completely ignore copyright issues or just
plain don't know anything about them. We have dealers who sell our
product and think they can basically copy our web pages (graphics,
text, and everything else) and put them on their own site.

> But who is the "Webster" in this case? Even the name "Webster"
> is available for anyone to use. I assume the letter actually came
> from the publisher of a particular version of Webster's from which
> the graphic, etc. had been copied?

Right you are David. It was actually from Merriam-Webster.

Inside their dictionary, it states:

All rights reserved. No part of this book covered by copyrights hereon
may be produced or copied in any form or by any means - graphic,
electronic, or mechanical, including photography, taping, or information
storage and retrieval systems without written permission of the
publisher.

So, does this mean that when I used the dictionary in the third grade to
do my definition assignments that I was actually a plaigarist at such a
young age :)

>Copyright is an important issue and I would have thought someone at your
company
>would have known the issues involved.

I think for them it must have just been a case of having a deadline,
overlooking
it, sending it out the door, and not considering it once it was gone. I'm
sure
if they decide to rerun the ad at some point, we will be writing our own
definition of value. I think that is probably what was intended in the first
place
and it just didn't turn out that way.

Thanks! I normally don't do too much posting. I usually learn everything
I need to know just by sitting back and reading everything. You guys are a
wealth of knowledge!

Debbie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=