Re: Change Pages for Manuals

Subject: Re: Change Pages for Manuals
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:14:57 -0400

Randall Larson-Maynard asked about how to handle change pages.

Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM> writes:

> "Nobody *ever* posts change-pages."

(and provides some good reasons for his circumstances, which may be common)

Well, there are at least a few of us who post change pages, but
you really need a good mechanism to disseminate changes, and a
well-thought out page numbering scheme to counter some of the
problems Dan mentions.

The software I document includes a method for customers (who
have purchased support) to download (in a fairly automatic manner)
program changes and documentation changes. As we provide
many program enhancements on a given release, it is critical to
keep up-to-date on documentation. At the very least, downloading
the documentation updates keeps on-line documentation current.

In terms of extra pages messing up chapters, we number pages in
the format chapter number - page number (e.g., 3 - 1), so a
complete chapter might need to be reprinted, but the next chapter
is unaffected.

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing