Re: Contracting Experiences

Subject: Re: Contracting Experiences
From: Connie Giordano <CPGLJG -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:03:28 EDT

I'm fascinated by this thread, particularly with the overwhelming support for
contracting. HoweverI come from an opposite set of experiences. I much
prefer the permanent work. When I was contracting I had little control of
the final output, even less input into design decisions, and practically no
contact with the users.

In my permanent positions, particularly my current environment, I can "push
the envelope". I may start out being viewed as someone who "makes it look
pretty", but that usually doesn't last long. Diplomatic offers to help
marcom do their thing with concrete product knowledge (and a background in PR
and advertising) have netted me wonderful new projects that ensure I don't
get bored. Equally diplomatic offers to assist business analysts with
designing GUI for their specs, developers with writing and editing their
technical specs, and being the resident MS Office troubleshooter, and all of
the sudden, the TW is a communciations generalist, viewed as not only an
expert on the product, but on the company. This is way cool for me!

I think in deciding whether to go for contracting or go for the corporate
ladder, TWs need to analyse what really challenges them and what really
motivates them. If you're looking for the largest paycheck possible, or
really enjoy only one part of the technical communications process, or are
blessed with lots of wanderlust, you'd probably be better suited to
contracting. If you enjoy the dynamics (and frustrations) of corporate
politics, think you have a career path that goes up or out of the TC arena,
like to analyze the big picture, and want to get into everything out of sheer
curiosity and wanting to see the final result, you're probably better off as
a permanent employee.

Don't patronize me for liking to do all kinds of things (including the
"fluffy" marketing stuff), doing them well, and not minding that I don't make
$120K; and I won't patronize you for completing a single project well and
moving on too quickly.

P.S. Some of my best friends are contractors :)

Connie Giordano
a truly happy permanent employee

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=