Ways of generating page counts in Word 97?

Subject: Ways of generating page counts in Word 97?
From: Richard Feldman <rfeldman -at- CFSLC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:59:33 -0600

Hi TECHWR-Lers,

Cross-posted. Apologies for duplication. I've gotten no peep of
response from WORD-PC or dailywordtips-list in the 48 hrs. since I posted
this inquiry there, so I'm trying for the Word demons here. Please reply
off list and I'll summarize if anybody asks.

I have a document consisting of several hundred pages in around a dozen
Word 97 files (one file for each of six chapters, four appendices, front
matter, & title page). In the front matter, I'm required to have a page
that looks in part like this:

TOTAL NUMBER OF PAGES IN THIS PUBLICATION IS ____ CONSISTING OF THE
FOLLOWING:

PAGE No.

Title
ii thru ____
1-1 thru 1-___
2-1 thru 2-___
3-1 thru 3-___
4-1 thru 4-___
5-1 thru 5-___
6-1 thru 6-___
A-1 thru A-___
B-1 thru B-___
C-1 thru C-___
D-1 thru D-___

where I'm going to need to fill in each of the blanks either manually
or automatically. Now it seems to me that for each chapter/appendix I
could generate the number by creating a hidden NUMPAGES field somewhere in
the chapter file, bookmarking it, and then creating an INCLUDETEXT field,
but I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way. It also seems to me
that there should be some formulaic way of generating the total, but,
again, I'm not sure of the most efficient format. Anybody got opinions
based on experience (or general insightfulness)?

Again, I suggest replying to me off list, and I'll summarize for the
list if interest warrants.

TIA.
Richard

Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
Camber Flight Simulation LC
5550 Midway Park Place, Albuquerque, NM 87109 e-mail: rfeldman -at- cfslc -dot- com
PH: (505) 342-5369 FX: (505) 343-0766

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=