Re: html editor questions

Subject: Re: html editor questions
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:55:47 -0400

Agreed. I have gotten good results by writing my HTML code to the 3.2
standard, which almost all browsers support and display pretty uniformly. I
also include the appropriate LINK tags for the style sheets. This way
anyone with style sheet capability will (hopefully) see my more complex
layout that I spent days working on, as CSS overrides the HTML formatting
tags (alignment, colour, and so on). Those viewers without CSS see my 3.2
or 4.0 Transitional HTML, which looks clean and professional, if not fancy.

The downside is having to maintain markup in *all* the files rather than
just one, which is a pain (especially if the layout is complex and involves
tables).

> Wouldn't it be wonderful if, instead, the browser developers were held
> captive to the pure HTML standard despite its limitations. That way, we
> could be certain of what our customers would see . . . <g>.

The nice thing about pure HTML is that, in addition to not working on some
browsers and breaking others, the same pages always look pretty much the
same even after the browser publishers have left certain proprietary tags
behind, added five zillion more, etc. HTML 2.0 looks the same in Netscape
4.08 as it did in Netscape 2. It's ugly, but it's consistent!

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=