Re: New technical communication mailing list

From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:54:21 -0400

I sent this last time that message was sent but I'm not sure it got
through. If I remember correctly it also bounced at Mark Bell's end. So
once again Mark (and other who wish to jump ship).....
------------

Another list? Why bother? This one is as good as a list gets. What is it
about this new list that promises to be so much better than this one? The
cute name? It's a little insulting to those who are on this list and
contribute regularly to it to be told that what is posted is not
worthwhile.
If you are "pushing the boundaries of modern communication" and "love
communicating and exploring new forms of it" then why haven't you and the
others forming this new list contributing to TECHWR-L? Indeed anyone who
complains that there isn't enough "important" discussion should get off
their collective behinds and contribute with what they feel is important.
This isn't a magazine, it's a giant open discussion. Like any discussion
there are parts that are boring or off topic but it's the whole that
counts.
If this new list ever gains the importance and size of techwr-l then you'll
be faced with all the same problems that every other large email list out
there has. Eric Ray does a fine job considering the size of the list and I
for one congratulate him for it (I think that's a sentiment that should be
sent to the list with a me too). The only way you could keep a group this
large on topic 100% of the time is to moderate it and screen every post
that was sent to it. Good luck to anyone that tries. I've been on
committees with 5 people who couldn't stay on topic or remain serious for
more than 10 minutes and I've been on other lists. I'm amazed that this
list stays as professional as it is.
Unless you have a slow connection and you're paying per download, use the
delete key on the messages and threads you don't like. Somedays I delete
90% of what I receive before opening it.
Thank you to all those who continue to contribute to techwr-l. I for one am
staying here.
Eric L. Dunn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=