Re: naming conventions

Subject: Re: naming conventions
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- ARRAKIS -dot- ES>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:53:11 +0200

BE CAREFUL!!

I've attached a UNIX shell script that converts
upper and mixed case file
names to all lower case.

This could break all your xrefs, hypertext links, and any
other references the files whose names you change. For
example, even the book file could be hosed. So be careful
before you try this script, and save off your original
directory of files. If everything is designed to work on
Win with the mixed case filenames, then you probably should
not blythly change the filenames.

In a former position, we had a utility written up that went
through a book and changed the name of a selected file.
This checked for all the references to the original name and
changed them to the new name. It was not a batch, and for
hundreds of files would be tedious. But that is better than
searching for all xrefs and updating them! That was an Api
client, btw.

One approach might be to massage the script you got to make
it search for all instances of the mixed case filenames in
MIF versions of the files and then change the filenames
there, too. BUT BE CAREFUL.

That said, I can only assume you are on a flavor of UNIX
like Apollo??? It was a while ago, but I recall Solaris,
X-Motif, OpenLook (is that the name for it) and whatever the
underlying OS was had no problem with mixed case. So if you
can't have upper case letters at all, I must guess youare on
a more obscure OS.

In fact, the trouble I had was sort of the opposite... Win
systems added upper case letters to filenames that didn't
originally have them. Then, when I transferred from Mac to
Win to Unix, I got in trouble. But the files were broken on
Win, not UNix or Mac. What I did to fix the problem was
change the case on Win, just to make it so I could do things
on that platform as well.

I'm just an old alarmist... cud

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=