Re: Favorite/Recommended Fonts

Subject: Re: Favorite/Recommended Fonts
From: Peter Martin <peterm -at- FOXBORO -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:36:28 +1000

At 11:43 6/04/99 -0700, Chuck Martin wrote:
>CASSIN Gilles wrote:
>>
>> Chuck Martin wrote:
>> <I learned that the reasoning behind this difference was because of what
>> <was used to teach children to read. Apparently, in the U.S., most books
>> <are printed in serif fonts, while in Europe, most books are printed in
>> <Sans serif fonts.
>>
>> Dunno which European bookshop you frequented. Was it that one with the
>> green librarian, which tentacled your book while typing the bill with
>> her antennas?
>>
>Actually, it was one of several things I learned in one of my Technical
>Communication classes, from an instructor (Tom Williams) who is quite
>knowledgeable about teh technical details of subjects such as fonts,
>readability, screen design, and so on.
>
>From one of that class' texts: "The typefaces we learned to read with
>are the ones we are used to and that we therefore find most congenial
>and comfortable. In the United States those happen to be the faces with
>serifs (Century, Primer, Times Roman, and so on). In Europe, sans serif
>is the rule rather than the exception."
> - Graphic Design for the Electronics Age, Jan V. White, ISBN:
>082302122X, p. 13

Can +anyone+ cite an example of European research that confirms the
suggestion that Europeans actually comprehend sans serif body text
better than serif body text ? How else can the "practice effect"
be confirmed ?

And it's been a while since I was in Europe: can someone confirm that,
say, the majority of European newspapers use sans serif body font ?
Or is this an urban myth ?

--
Peter Martin, Contract Tech. Writer peterm -at- foxboro -dot- com -dot- au
+61 2 9818 5094 (home) 0408 249 113 (mobile) peterm -at- zeta -dot- org -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=