Contracting Experiences

Subject: Contracting Experiences
From: "Rockey, Alice" <arockey -at- OSEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:10:15 -0700

Anonymous posted questions about doing contract work. I would like to offer
some words of advice and encouragement, since I have contracted as an
instructional designer, trainer, and technical writer for over nine years.

I have never "incorporated" or formed my own company. I have always worked
for agencies who represent me and offer group benefits (that I must pay for
myself) and take care of the tax issues.

The thing you must remember with contracting and agencies is that you are
the commodity. Sign up with as many agencies as possible: there is no limit
or unethical reason not to. Call them often and let them know that you are
available. Go on as many interviews as possible, even if the job is not
exactly what you are looking for. You may find a jewel in the rough while
you are at the interview. Leverage your skills. Remember that the agency
is making a certain dollar amount for each hour that you sit in a chair,
working . The company who needs the writer will pay one amount to the
agency, the agency will pay you a lesser amount and the agency will pocket
the difference. So, the less they pay you, the more they make. But, if you
don't work at all, nobody makes any money. Stick to your salary requirement
guns, use good interview skills to leverage a better rate from the agency,
and remember that they need you as much as you need them.

If you incorporate and choose not to use an agency, all the better. I've
found that many of the agencies have certain relationships with companies
who use contractors, so it is difficult to get into a company as a
contractor unless you work for that agency. Plus, the agencies have many
job leads that you would have to drum up yourself. Stand tough and you will
have all the work you need, at the rate you want. Don't sell yourself
short.

Alice Rockey
arockey -at- osec -dot- com
Oceanside, CA