Re: Software Manual Organization

Subject: Re: Software Manual Organization
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:08:32 -0400

Hallo:

A lot depends on the amount of available time. For me, on an update, s/w
manuals typically fall into two categories: reference and application.
Reference manuals tend to be feature oriented, organized by menu
explanations. Application manuals tend to be task oriented, organized by how
the software is used. If I can, I prefer to include both with a software
product, or make the reference manual into on-line help and provide an
application book as a PDF and in printed format.

How relevant is your "theoretical" information and do most of your readers
need to see it. The importance of this information to the majority of your
readers might best indicate its location: in introductory chapters,
appendices, or a separate tome.

Bonne chance.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com