Getting that MA without experience!

Subject: Getting that MA without experience!
From: Geoffrey Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:42:01 -0400

Katav is bothered by the notion that <<our TW wanna-be has
both "infinite theoretical ... knowledge" (scary thought ...
"infinite theoretical") with "relatively little empirical
knowledge." How is it that a person is awarded a bachelor's -
let alone a MASTERS - sans experience>>

Happens all the time. In fact, outside the science faculties, this
is probably the rule, not the exception. Even in the science
faculties, it's possible to not only get a doctorate, but also get
considerable tenured experience, with little or no practical
(pardon... "real world") experience. I'm reminded of one prof
in my grad school who was an expert in plant physiology, but
who'd never visited the forests we were studying... he'd lived
in a lab, and done all his fieldwork in another country with an
entirely different ecology. He eventually remedied the
situation, but it was interesting for a few years.

<<it seems logical that a person should have SOME
experience in a discipline BEFORE undertaking a master's
program (in that discipline).>>

Makes sense to me, but it's a rare school indeed that imposes
this requirement. For example, don't get me started on the
state of most MBA programs... Nowadays, it's quite common
to go straight through from highschool into your postdoctoral
work without ever leaving the shelter of academe. Whether
this is a good idea... well, let's just say it doesn't strike me as
wise.

<<Our almost-MA has "already landed a terrific job with a
worldwide HW/SW developer and producer" andwhile I am
happy for him, I wonder what the employer expects of him ...
I hope the expectations are realistic.>>

It all depends on what the original poster's MA focused on,
and what they're asking him to do. He's more likely to be
happy and productive if the work is theoretical research on
interface design than if it's writing policies and procedures
manuals, or installation guides. Being a theoretical whiz with
no practical experience is like reading all the sex manuals in
the world without ever having gone on a date: until you've
actually done the field work... <g>

I suspect our "newbie" would be well advised to find a senior
writer or writing manager at the company who is willing to
act as a mentor and to show him the ropes. In addition, I
strongly recommend spending a lot of time here on the list,
observing how those of us with experience attack problems
(and occasionally each other <g>), and asking all those
"dumb" questions that are so difficult to ask your colleagues
face to face. A better practical education I can't imagine.

<<My suggestion is that any of us with influence with
any school of higher ed use that influence to push for
more 'real world' exposure to the professions before
graduation.>>

That's actually beginning to happen, and STC (among others)
is being fairly active about promoting industry-academe
partnerships. George Hayhoe will probably have something
to say about this. In addition, the more gungho students have
always looked for summer jobs that gave them practical
writing experience.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=