Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: Sean Wheller <Sean -at- MAIL -dot- MEDIAONEIT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:23:51 +0300

I don't see any problem with using existing templates as a starting
point for future projects.

In most cases the development of a template to a customers taste
requires input from more than one person in the organization. If you are
lucky you only have to deal with one person, but at most you have to
deal with five or six people. Accommodating everyone's preferences can
take a great deal of time, which in turn relates to cost.

I find that most well established companies have, thankfully, already
defined styles and personalities of there own. While the startup
customers are just in a hurry to get the documentation in the box.
Especially if they have a new product and are already on tight or
backlogged development schedules. These customers are focused on the
content and not the "lip gloss". They want a cost effective solution and
could not be bothered, for the time being, with additional nuisances.

NO I am not saying that "lip gloss" is not important. I am just saying
that sometimes you have to be practical. So if you have a good template
and the customer does not mind using it with a little modification - go
for it. Providing the original templates are not patented or protected
by law. If the template is protected and you decide to use it without
change, then I can understand there may be a problem. Once modified, I
find it hard to believe that any patent or law will stand in court.

Sean Wheller
sean -at- mail -dot- mediaoneit -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=