Re: Using the network

Subject: Re: Using the network
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:24:18 -0800

Jody -

re: use of master documents, or links to other documents -

If there is ANY question about the status of the documents I'm working on, such
as a document with links to text in my files, I'll open the master document on
the server, as well as my own local version. However, I'll only open my local
version for the purpose of updating those links, then I'll save both the
server-based master and the local file, and as soon as possible I'll upload a
copy of my local file to the server. My position tends to be that I shouldn't
hold shared resources open only for my access any longer than necessary.
Having them open, in most operating systems, locks them from write-access by
others.

> Another point that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of space
> available for use on the network. Maybe our network is the only
> one that has this problem, but there are times when a file I am
> working on is large enough that the amount of overhead required to
> allow for a backup file and temporary working files exceeds the
> amount of space available on the network drive.

Sounds like you need to have a word with your MIS staff about temporary
workspace. If you can't save a file because your group's space is maxed out,
you're rapidly running out of room. One client company solved the
constantly-increasing demands for space by having user departments pay for new
hard disk capacity. That way the individual departments had some ideas about
how they were using server space, and had some accountability for its efficient
use.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=