Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: Sharon Burton-Hardin <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:45:44 -0800

I do agree that people will ask for a manual that looks like someone else.
And that there is not ethical problem with creating one that looks like
someone else's. Happens all the time. I did it recently for a client. That
is called good ideas being used again and again.

But, I cannot, in good conscience, re-use that specific template again. The
client asked for and paid for that specific template with those tag names,
what ever they might have been. Reusing that specific template with those
tag names for another client would, in my opinion, be stealing. The client
paid for and, thus, owns the template. I can use the same look and feel and
create a new template for another client with some new tag names or formats
or xref formats and use it with a clear conscience. The stickler is how many
tag names make it unique, especially since I tend to use the same names in
my templates.

To be good, I would have to create a new one for a client and charge them
for it. At least that is my opinion. I think, as with the content, it is
what my client pays for. And if they pay for it, then they own it. The same
can be said with the source files for the book or help. They paid for the
creation effort and the content and it is theirs. Most contracts state that.
How would a template be different?

At least that is the ethical position for me. But then I have always want to
do the right thing and not be bad. Better to err on the side of caution.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!
See www.sharonburton.com!