Teaching Technical Writing

Subject: Teaching Technical Writing
From: Jan Schipper <instr -at- NC5 -dot- INFI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:13:40 -0500

I'm nearing the end of my first year as a college instructor, and I have
been assigned to teach Technical Writing to second semester, first year
college students in the Fall 1999 semester. I need help. The students
who register for the technical writing course will have completed the
required computer science course and the first semester English writing
course. We will be in a computer lab with Internet access and anything
else I request (within reason), so I could use some advice about what
would really interest students in technical writing.
As Technical Writers and/or Technical Writing instructors, could some of
you on this list please tell me what you think are the most helpful and
necessary components of teaching beginners about technical writing?
Maybe none of my students will become technical writers, but I want them
to see what technical writing offers. If you, as technical writers,
could return to your first technical writing course and plan what would
have helped you the most, what would you have wanted your instructor to
teach you?

Thank you!

Jan Schipper

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=