Re: 16- and 32-bit Help

Subject: Re: 16- and 32-bit Help
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:05:36 -0500

Sean Olson wrote:

> I am looking for a good primer on writing 16- and 32-bit Help documents
for Windows. Any suggestions?

For 16-bit Windows help, an excellent reference is "The Developer's Guide to
WINHELP.EXE" by Jim Mischel (ISBN 0-471-30326-7. This can be pretty
technical, delving into the RTF coding (which you won't probably deal with
too much if you're using a tool such as RoboHelp). However, it is very
specific about exactly what 16-bit Windows help supports, which I find
invaluable. There is also the Help Authoring Guide for WinHelp 3.1 from
Microsoft. You can download that as an online help file from their site, I
believe, as well as the last version of the WinHelp 3.1 compiler.

For 32-bit Windows help, an excellent book is "Designing Windows 95 Help: A
Guide to Creating Online Documents" by Mary Deaton and Cheryl Lockett Zuback
(ISBN 0-7897-0362-9). This book covers some very good basic information
about designing online help systems, as well as information specific to
Windows 95 (32-bit) help.

HTH,

Lydia
Lydia Wong