Re: atomic steps

Subject: Re: atomic steps
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:27:31 -0500

How far you in breaking down a procedure depends on your audience. I agree
that one step should still only include one action - but it depends on what you
define as the action -- each mouse click, or getting to the Add/Remove programs
window?

Very novice readers might need the sort of detail provided in your MicroSoft
example; but anyone who has worked in Windows for more than a few hours would
quickly get frustrated.

I would say, "From the Start menu, chose Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove
Programs." I'm not sure the notation matters as long as it is consistent and
clear.

--
Scott Wahl
Customer Documentation and Training