Re: CSS with Netscape

Subject: Re: CSS with Netscape
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:53:00 -0600

Mike, I *really* get the feeling you're not listening.

>"Standard" scripting will not create objects. "Standard" scripting will not
>return a programmable object for a currently running application.
>"Standard" scripting will not manipulate ActiveX controls. These require
>things like the CreateObject or the GetObject method. JavaScript does not
>have these.

So add that to the standard scripting language base. That way your scripting
language can run every script that fits the standard, *plus* any neat thing
you want to think up.

That's the problem, Mike. No one's saying "Standards *or* innovation"
(except possibly yourself). We're saying "Standards *plus* innovation."
Standards supply the lowest common denominator. They describe the way
it should function everywhere. That way developers who care about more
than one kind of customer can build for more than one kind of customer.
That's what's so frustrating about the MS approach. Good tools, as long
as none of my clients wants to run anything but IE over Windows. Throw
in a MacHead or LinuxGeek, though, and I'm screwed. If MS would just
deliver on the standards they claim to support, I wouldn't mind all
the other GeeWhiz they throw on top of it. Heck, I might even *use*
some of it. (Not ActiveX, though; that's just too insecure.)

Nobody's talking about "tying down" any one, Mike. I just want a solid
frame around the ground floor before I start working in the attic,
and that's what MS isn't (apparently) interested in giving me.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=