Re: Popular Culture Deals with the Online/Print Documentation Que stion

Subject: Re: Popular Culture Deals with the Online/Print Documentation Que stion
From: "HICKEY, John David" <jdhickey -at- GROUPE-PROGESTIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:07:07 -0500

Greetings!

>That cartoon's not so far from the truth. A few years ago, Xerox Corp.
>(my employer at the time) was using microfiche to distribute its copier
[...]
>whole story. It was quite a "Catch 22" situation, though: if you
>didn't know how to use a fiche viewer, you couldn't read the manual; if
>you got so you could read the manual, you didn't need it. That viewer

One of my old clients did something similar with their licensing
agreement. Instead of placing the licensing agreement in the shrink-wrap
with the diskettes, they thought they could save some money by just
placing it in the installation script. Of course, the licensing
agreement said something along the lines of: "By opening this package,
you agree to the terms described herein." You could never see the
licensing agreement without opening the package and by then, it was too
late. <g>
---
Be seeing you,

John David Hickey
Technical Writer
---
Groupe-Progestic
Montreal, Quebec
514-842-7995

Do not confuse my opinions with my employers'
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.
---

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=