Personification of gadgets and thingamabobs

Subject: Personification of gadgets and thingamabobs
From: Lauren Merritt <laurenm -at- ISE-TLX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:06:20 -0700

Hey folks--

I'm working with one of those ponderous, highly technical documents that make my brain hurt. Right now I'm stalled against the following sentence:

"To fire the triac pulse at the proper time, the ASP driver must know which phase powers each lamp block."

I know this is an ugly sentence when taken out of context this way, but that's not what hurts right now. I'm really trying to avoid the personification of this ASP driver thingie, and just can't seem to get around it.

Does anyone have general suggestions on avoiding personification? How hard should I try?

I've searched the archives, but found little on personification.

Thanks--

Lauren Merritt

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000