Re: Developer Documentation

Subject: Re: Developer Documentation
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:26:36 -0500

Hi all,

I would recommend against volunteering to write and format developer docs.
Presumably your job is to write and publish customer documentation, which has (or
should have) a completely different focus from developer documentation.

You don't want your focus on producing information to help users work effectively
with your product to get pushed aside while you do developers' work.

Product managers should own the requirements specs -- what the product should
do. Developers should own the design specs -- what the product actually does and
how it does it.

Make the case that developer documentation is important for building a
high-quality product on time - not simply as a source of information for customer
docs.

Scott

--
Scott Wahl