Looking for samples

Subject: Looking for samples
From: Sean Olson <rootcellar -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:56:01 -0000

Hello all,

I have just found this list and really enjoy it, but can anyone tell me if
the pronunciation for "techwr-l" has been worked out? I found myself
stumbling mid-sentence as I told my grad advisor about it. Having a name
would really help.

The main reason for this post, however, is to solicit contributions. I am
an M.A. candidate at CSU San Bernardino in the department of Composition
and Rhetoric writing my thesis on Technical Writing and the community of
technical writers. While I am still in the topic narrowing phase of my
research, I am generally interested in how standards of good writing are
developed and the effect of the Internet on that process. Some general
questions I am attempting to answer include:
* Is there a community standard for good writing?
* How is it defined?
* What are the characteristics of good and bad technical writing?
* What are the issues of contention?
* Is there a significant difference between what technical writing manuals
prescribe as the elements of good writing and those used by the community
of technical writing practitioners?
* If so, what are they, and how do you account for the discrepancy?
* What affect does the rapid advancement of technology have on any
disparities between prescription and practice?
* What is the effect of a virtual community on the development of
standards.

I am not necessarily submitting this as a survey, expecting a detailed
answer to each and everyone of these questions. I am more interested in
general responses to any of these questions where you might have a
particular insight or strong feeling. Also, I need to gather writing
samples. Do you have any masterpieces of good and/or bad writing, not
necessarily your own, that you can share with me. If you have one of each
that would really be great.

Any file attachments or general comments can be e-mailed directly to me at
rootcellar -at- earthlink -dot- net . I really appreciate any help you can give (as
does my mother who wants to know when her son is going to finish school and
get a real job).

Best Regards,

Sean Olson

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=