If you could use what you wanted, knowing then what you know now.

Subject: If you could use what you wanted, knowing then what you know now.
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:28:44 -0500

Hi guys (1)...

I'm starting a new contract on Monday and I have the freedom of
selecting the software for creating a new information set for a product
rollout. (I have the option because most of it will be mine.) Therefore
I'M GOING SHOPPING!!!

I'm going to be creating the hard copy documentation using Frame 5.5.6
because of its conditional text, cross-reference and book features.

The information set will probably be five manuals. The estimated page
count is in ( ): User Guide (200), Administrator/Instructor Guide (200),
Installation Guide (100), Foreign Currency Conversion Manual (50), and
Utilities Guide (50).

This material will be distributed to about 16,000 users in every country
on the globe, so translation and localization will be an issue.

However, from there, I need to create the following output variations.
I'm showing my choice on some of them...if you want to convince me
otherwise, knock yourself out (except for web version).

Obviously, how they work with each other is going to be a determining
factor.

1) Convert Frame to Word: mif2rtf
(everyone in the company says I can use Frame...except the big boss..she
wants everything done in Word and I need to convince her otherwise...I
don't need input on this, it's being addressed as we speak)

2) Word: Word97
3) PDF: Acrobat Exchange with catalog
4) Windows help: ???
5) HTMLhelp: ???
(yes, I need/want both)
6) Graphics: Adobe Illustrator (to create EPS graphics for FrameMaker)
7) Frame Utilities: ixgen
8) Web: FrontPage - This is not negotiable, so don't even try.
Sorry...don'cha just HATE it? :-)

I'm open to suggestions (except on the web software...sorry I keep
repeating myself, but wanna bet someone is going to take issue with "the
code"?)

Thanks and since I have several weeks to complete my "tool box", don't
be afraid to contribute if you think you are getting in on this late.

(1) gender neutral

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Telcordia Technologies, the company formerly known as Bellcore

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=