Re: Help! First TW job interview

Subject: Re: Help! First TW job interview
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:34:40 -0800

Dear Sir,

Let me begin by asking where I actually "dismiss ageism"? Furthermore, if
you look carefully, I indicated that hiring based upon age "may be"
acceptable in other cultures.

Mr. Rocco, please leave your hyperbole at the door and desist from wielding
your cultural whacking stick. You have every right to support whatever value
system you choose. That does not, however, allow you to spread it across the
globe like so much paint thinner simply because you think it's the best
value system.

My point, which you effectively mutated beyond recognition, is that northern
Europeans (or Burkina Fasoans or Chileans) have the right to establish
hiring practices in whatever fashion they see fit. Do I approve of
indicating age in job descriptions? Certainly not in North America. What
about somewhere else? I've never been to the Netherlands or Sweden or
Finland, and I don't understand the cultural differences between those
countries and mine. Maybe they have some sort of embedded, hierarchical
system that relates to age. I have no idea. Unlike yourself, I wouldn't
presume to know what is best for them.

Sincerely,
Darren Barefoot