complex conditional steps

Subject: complex conditional steps
From: Kim Portonova <kim_portonova -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:12:15 PST

I am documenting a quick reference guide for our patient accounting,
medical records, and patient registration system. The interface is
clunky, and the procedures have many complex variables.

For example, if the user wants to select a patient using the Medical
Record Selection box, these things may happen:

1. The Patient Header screen may automatically appear.
OR

2. The Patient Enquiry screen may automatically appear.
(The user must then select a visit and the Patient Header
screen appears).

OR

3. Nothing happens. The user must press <Tab> or
<Return>.
THEN
a. The Patient Header screen appears.
OR
b. The Patient Enquiry screen appears. (As above,
the user must select a visit, and the Patient
Header screen appears.)

The user needs to get to the Patient Header screen to begin the
Registration function.

I've checked the archives, but the suggestion to put all of these
variables into a bullet list doesn't work well for me because this
information seems too dense for bullets. There also seems to be too many
hierarchal conditions for a bullet list.

Any suggestions? Our users are registration staff, most of whom are
comfortable with computers, but do not think of themselves as
proficient.

TIA
Kim Forbes
Technical Writer
Boston, MA
forbes_k -at- a1 -dot- tch -dot- harvard -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=