Never apologize, never explain (was getting fired)

Subject: Never apologize, never explain (was getting fired)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:20:29 -0800

My dad used to say this to me. It was his way of saying "sell
yourself." The world does not need to see your faults as long as you
know they are there.

Everyone has messed up a job at one point or another (that includes
me.) It is human nature to make mistakes. Those who think they are
immune from mistakes are just as self-absorbed as those that feel a
need to whip themselves to death over those mistakes.

Your next employer does not need to know you were fired. That is not
dishonest. You wouldn't tell a new employer that you had an
unfulfilling sex life, that you pick your nose, or that every Friday
you get lazy and don't work hard. So why tell a new employer that the
last job didn't work out? Just say that it was not a good fit for you
and you wanted new challenges or something.

Do they really NEED to know that information? No, not if you are
committed to not making the mistake again.

Reflect on the event, and sell what is good about you.

Mmmm, ham.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.