Re: Explanations for getting fired

Subject: Re: Explanations for getting fired
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:52:04 -0800

Anon,

I worked at a consulting company (in marketing) a few
years ago that could be termed a "sick company" or a
"hostile workplace" if you like 90s buzz words.

Anyone who left the company did so in "disgrace" -- i.e.
they were fired, demoted so far below their position
that they quit in anger, or went on stress leave and
found another job after months of therapy and Prozac.
(I quit, by the way.)

Getting a good reference from that job was a bit of
a problem. Instead of asking a superior to represent
my work, I asked a co-worker who I actually had a
good working relationship with (fair, open, honest) to
be my reference. It worked well. I've recently dropped
his name off my reference list because that job is
gettin' old and no longer represents my main skill
set.

Part of the problem with moving on from a bad work
experience is dealing with your own emotional
baggage. I don't know what kind of luggage you
are carrying, but mine included: anger, crippling worry,
agonizing self-doubt, over-eagerness to please,
lack of confidence in my technical abilities, GUILT,
and difficulty making friends at my new workplace
(overwhelming fear of being betrayed, also known
as paranoia). The guilt is the killer, in my mind,
and I can read it all through your message.

You made a mistake. We all make mistakes,
big and small, throughout our careers. You've
obviously thrived since getting fired, so I would
suggest leaving the job off your resume, finding
someone at the company who will give you a fair
reference (not glowing, just fair), or explaining to
a potential employer that you made a mistake
that taught you some extremely valuable lessons
about life, work relationships, and professionalism.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Rowena

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=