Long Distance Charges and Internet Document Delivery

Subject: Long Distance Charges and Internet Document Delivery
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- EXPERIAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:48:45 -0600

This came across my email desk today...

<<Congress will be voting for the INTERNET ACCESS FEE in less than two
weeks.
CNN stated that the new Congress is scheduled, in two weeks time, to
decide whether to allow or not allow your telephone company to levy a
charge on your phone bill equal to a Long Distance call EACH time you
access the Internet.>>

Don't know if it's true or not, and finding out is not why I bring it to
you. Let's assume for a moment it is true and that it does come to pass
that Internet access requires a long distance charge. Any thoughts about
the impact this would have on the current trend
to make technical documentation more and more available via the Web? Do you
think companies would shy away from this delivery vehicle as a result, or
do you think it would be just another one of those hurdles we'll all
eventually climb over? In other words, are companies enough enamored of
this documentation delivery approach that wild horses (or long distance
charges) wouldn't keep them from moving forward?
--B
barb -dot- ostapina -at- experian -dot- com
...speaking only for myself.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=