Re: SERIOUS: Formal vs. informal organizations

Subject: Re: SERIOUS: Formal vs. informal organizations
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:43:04 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>

>Cannot companies also operate this way? Imagine a company that
>allowed you to chart your own course on completing a project.
It only
>would get in your way when you either missed deadlines or
specifically
>asked for help.

<HappySigh(tm)>
For the first time in 13 years of freelancing, I'm dealing with a
company like that:

"Use whatever software you're comfortable with; we'll
budget a week at the end to deal with any conversion problems."

"We've got several people doing the writing, now, and the
stuff looks like it comes from multiple universes. Put together
a style guide for us that will make it easier to improve looks
and readability, but won't cripple us."

"You need offsite access to our secure network? No problem.
Bring in your computer and we'll install and configure every-
thing you'll need and make sure it works. Call me at home if
you run into any problems."

(after I had been hired to do 100 screen captures for a quick
manual
revision, and instead suggested a major reorganization of the
entire
book that had been lovingly crafted by one of the co-owners of
the
company) "Hmm..you know, your outline makes a LOT of
sense. How much should we budget for that? Can you start
on Monday?"

I think I've fallen in love <g>.

Kat Nagel
MasterWork