Re: quality of technical documentation

Subject: Re: quality of technical documentation
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 22:20:02 EST

The question of documentation metrics is an open issue of research and
discussion within the profession. I think it's safe to say there's no one
magic measurement that gives you an overall quality score for a document.
There may be a small number of measurements that give a reasonable
approximation, but we don't agree on what they are.

In any event, there's a difference between product quality (how good is the
document?) and process quality (how well was the document produced?). Trying
to measure one using the metrics of the other is to work at cross purposes.

STC has a Quality special interest group (SIG); look on the STC Web page for
details.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Group Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=