Re: what's in a portfolio?

Subject: Re: what's in a portfolio?
From: Sarah Stegall <stegall -at- TERAYON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:07:34 -0800

Since I work in a high tech industry (don't we
all), I have found that burning my portfolio onto
an ISO 9000 CD impresses the hell out of employers
and recruiters. I was fortunate enough to have
access to a silk screen label printer, but a
well-designed label printed out on an inkjet and
stuck to the CD would work well. The great
advantage to this approach was that I could bring
massive amounts of information to the interview,
leave it with the employer a couple of days while
they passed it around, and pick it at my
convenience (I had five of them made). Since much
of my "portfolio" involves such items as websites
and interactive tutorials I have designed and
built, CD-ROM was really the only way to present
this material at an interview.

You will want to burn an ISO 9000 CD because that
format can be read by any CD player. Just make
sure that all your file names are in the 8 dot 3
format. Organize your material the way you want
it presented, then build a "front door", usually
an HTML page (if you are interviewing with someone
who does not have a browser...well, do you want to
be interviewing with someone who does not have a
browser?). Users can click on your resume and get
taken straight to the work you highlight.

--
Sarah Stegall || Senior Technical
Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=