continuous publishing practitioners

Subject: continuous publishing practitioners
From: Jean Richardson <jean -at- BJRCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:02:22 -0800

Hi, All!

I am interested in finding organizations who are moving toward "continuous
publishing" paradigm. As I understand it, this means putting less effort
into deliverables (such as manuals and online Help) which ship with the
product in favor of generating deliverables which are distributed after the
product ships, for instance, white papers, newsletters, and knowledgebase
articles.

At this point, most of my expectations about such re-envisioning of the
technical publications process has been triggered by a talk I heard Joanne
Hackos give to the local STC chapter several months ago. At the time, she
mentioned that she was aware of organizations who were moving in the
direction of what she called "continuous publishing" and some of the members
of the audience indicated that they had tried such tactics. However, I have
yet to hear about any case studies or detailed discussions of the realities
of abandoning the old paradigm. I expect that there would be staffing,
marketing, and organizational positioning implications to such a change in
methods.

If any of you are involved in such efforts, please contact me by responding
in email or calling me at 503-788-8998. I am fascinated with the potential
of this way of working, and I'd like to hear any and all experiences or
opinions you'd like to share.

-- Jean

Jean Richardson
BJR Communications, Inc.
Portland, Oregon, USA
voice: (503) 788-8998

A service provider of:

* Customer contact skills training
* Audience analysis and research
* User assistance life cycle development
* Technical communication products

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=