Re: Opinions re MS Publisher

Subject: Re: Opinions re MS Publisher
From: Scott Wilson <scottw -at- HARLEQUIN -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:12:13 +0000

Emmy,

It really depends on how you intend to print - in my non-tech author role
as a partner in an ad firm, receiving copy in MS Publisher format is a
nightmare. MSP generates awful postscript, and is incompatible with other
non-Microsoft software. We generally looked at the proof and rebuilt the
entire thing in QuarkXpress. Given the design limitations of MSP, this was
usuallly quicker than trying to debug the EPS so an imagesetter wouldn't
reject it :)

Still, if all you're using for illustrations are 72dpi BMP/WMF clipart (not
Illustrator/Freehand EPS artwork), and you are printing to a local laser
printer it shouldn't be *too* bad.

- ScottW.

At 16:03 04/03/99 -0800, you wrote:
> I have a "friend" who wants to create his book (@ 120 pages
> 8 1/2 x 11, 75% text, 25% clip art illustrations) using
> Microsoft Publisher. The purpose of the book is to explain
> accounting procedures to a non-technical audience, hence
> the use of clip-art to "liven" things up.
>
> Trouble is, I'd like to use Frame and he doesn't have Frame
> (too expensive), plus he'd have to learn to use it to keep
> updating the book. He has Publisher. I've never used Publisher.
> The alternative is to use Word, but I'm not sure it can
> handle all those illustrations.
>
> Any opinions you could give me on Publisher would be appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Emmy
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=