Re: Appropriate Postings

Subject: Re: Appropriate Postings
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:00:43 -0800

At 09:01 AM 3/3/99 -0600, Tracy Boyington wrote:
>> For anyone intereted, there is an article on this topic in today's Salon
>> Magazine at the following URL:
>>
>> http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/
>
>And is that our own Kat Nagel being quoted?.

<blush>
Yes, it is. Austin found my 'Life Cycle of a Mailing List' on the Net
somewhere and tracked me down. We had an interesting interview,
conducted in a series of loooong email messages over several days.
He did a pretty good job---got the date right (Dec94) and only made
one slight error (it was a discussion of Renaissance music, not
medieval). All in all, a decent job of reporting. He even went back
to the original post in the EARLYM-L archives to verify authorship,
since that piece has been plagiarized more often than anything
else I've ever written.

Tracy goes on to say:
>IMHO, many of the problems cited in this article could have been avoided
>by judicious use of filters. ...[snip]... I strongly recommend filtering to
>those who complain about the volume or content of traffic on this list.

Tracy's right. Filtering helps a lot. But even the best filtering
software (and I've tried everything on the market for both PCs and Macs)
can't eliminate all the fluff and garbage that hitches a ride on recycled
electrons.
To handle the stuff that sneaks through the filters, I get individual messages
whenever possible instead of digests. Then I sort the messages by subject
and scan through for stuff that looks useful. I may miss some clever
or useful posts that hide under titles like "FYI" or "Re: Digest#..." or
"HELP!",
but my digestion is better and I don't snarl at my husband or kick the cat.

Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services
katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net OR mwrk -at- aol -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=