Re: What am I worth?

Subject: Re: What am I worth?
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:33:39 -0500

At 12:25 PM 3/3/99 -0500, Eric L. Dunn wrote:
>The first thing all unions do create a
>closed shop where you must be a member of the right union to work there.
>Open shops are very rare things.

Er...um...closed shops have for some decades been (unfortunately...)
illegal in the US.

(And I am very curious about the statistical basis for the statement that
"open shops are very rare things.")

Perhaps you are thinking of "union shops," in which workers need not join
the union but must nonetheless (if I remember correctly) pay union dues--a
practice I imagine you would find no less onerous than a closed shop.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
Web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
E-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=