Re: What a drag (on technical writing) <---- stupid

Subject: Re: What a drag (on technical writing) <---- stupid
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:07:13 -0800

Oh my God, you are so stupid, small and insignificant. I'll bet you
pee in the sink while there are dishes still in there? I'll bet you
eat canned pasta with a spork. I'll be you drink 40s with your
crack-addicted hos. Look at how you still use this infantile
construction:

<dumb remark>
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah.
</dumb remark>

Only people with huge warts on their brains do that. I my most recent
book, "How I am Amazing, Huge, and Generally Smarter Than You" I
describe in intricate detail how my ideas are fundamentally superior
to all other ideas. Since I was educated as a Senior Executive
Technical Communication Master at Genoble de la Weasels Pseudotechnic
my ideas, knowledge, and edicts are universally superior to you and
all those that look like you.

You know, in 9 million years nobody will care how many spaces, points,
pecks, or perturbations you put after, before, above, or inside a
period. Hell, who needs 9 million years. In 9 milliseconds nobody
will care. Which is just about how much time I have before Eric kicks
my butt off of here again.

People enjoy feeling correct about things. It hurts to have your
notions of truth and perfection open challenged. I had a teacher once
say to me, "If it makes you angry when people say 'you're stupid
Andrew', don't become a writer. Everyone thinks writers are stupid."
She was right. How stupid can you be to get all riled up over little
dots on a page?

Andrew "Milky White Please" Plato <----stupid
President / Stupid Guy
Anitian Consulting, Inc. <---stupid
www.anitian.com <---- stupid

---> stupid Jason Willebeek-LeMair
<jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM> wrote:

> <snip>
> Stupidity and complacency are a much larger drag on technical writing.
> People who refuse to learn subject matter and remain deeply committed
> to tools out of some irrational spiritual bond are doing real damage.
> People who say things like "I don't need to know how that works, I am
> a writer," or "I have used X since I was 3 and it is the only tool
> anyone should use."
> </snip>
>
> Don't forget those who wield their choice of (insert religious
grammatical
> or punctuation belief here -- take one or two spaces after a period
as an
> example) as some sort of ego-enhancing weapon. "Hah. You peon!
Still
> using two spaces I see. You are inherently evil, and your sin must
be put
> on display for all to see and mock. Children will flee your shadow,
old
> people will spit upon your documents, and dogs will lift their legs
on your
> trousers. I, on the other hand, am a god. You should worship me
for my
> deft use of a single space after a period. Oh, you unworthy one."
>
> Kinda makes TWs look a little petty and insignificant if you ask me
(but you
> didn't). Even worse if you bring this up outside the TW fold, "Hey
Mike,
> nice engineering spec., elegant technology solution, but I see you
are still
> using that way archaic practice of putting two spaces after a
period. Boy,

> Hmm. Maybe we do need a union so that someone can make these
choices for
> us. Oh, wait. Isn't that part of what they are paying us to do...
>
> Jason
> Who, to be diplomatic, uses alternate single and double spaces after
> periods.
> <Not Really, so please, don't send me any expressions of incredulity>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=