Re: Nested tabs terminology

Subject: Re: Nested tabs terminology
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:28:33 +0100

Keith,

The way to go is use a term that is immediately clear to your readers and
not to try to come up with something new and fancy. Chances are that your
readers will have no idea what you are talking about. So I would go for
something like sub-tab. The distinction between tab and sub-tab is
immediately clear. Tablet means nothing to me in this context. It would
only confuse me.

<sigh>
If only these developers guys would stick to conventions, and not try to
reinvent wheels, it would make our life so much simpler ....
</sigh>

Greetings,

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
the Netherlands

Mail to: jhe -at- polydoc -dot- com
Web: www.polydoc.com

Keith Soltys asked:

I need some advice about how to describe a particular user interface
element.

We are developing software that uses nested tab sets. Users of Microsoft
products will be familiar with tab sets in dialog boxes, such as the
Options dialog in MS Word, where clicking on a tab changes the underlying
dialog contents (property shee).

However, our developers have implemented something a little different in
that they have nested the tab sets. So, for example, you have two tabs in
a row, with three tabs in the second row. Clicking on the first tab in
the top row (call it tab A) displays tabs 1, 2, and 3 in the second row,
of
course each tab has its own properties. Clicking on tab B in the first row
displays tabs 4, 5, and 6 in the second row, instead of 1, 2, and 3.

My question is: what do you call the tabs in the second row?

Do you refer to them as tabs, as sub-tabs, or as something else (one of
our writers suggested tablets -- nice, but I'm hesitant to coin a new
term.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=