Re[2]: Sometimes you get what you need...

Subject: Re[2]: Sometimes you get what you need...
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:16:00 -0600

I pointed out that there was only one terminal for every
two mainframe programmers, and because of that, the programmars
could really only work half a day.

This comment betrays a fairly complete ignorance of the craft of
programming. One could just as easily make the statement that if a tech
writer isn't actively typing the text for the manual, then the writer
isn't working. There's a lot more to both programming and writing than
simply sitting at a keyboard pounding keys. Just as a writer will spend
time organizing material and plotting out the presentation, a programmer
will spend time designing how the code should be organized before one byte
of it is written; at least the good ones (in both cases) do. One
programming metric I remember from my previous life is that the coding
(programmer jargon for typing) should only take 25% or less of the actual
time spent.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224