Laptops, Mac-to-Windows

Subject: Laptops, Mac-to-Windows
From: Leslies <lesliet -at- PROAXIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:15:17 -0800

Fellow Techwhirlers,

I am just starting out as a free-lance technical writer and editor. After
years of writing and editing as a captive employee (first as a journalist,
then as a technical writer), I've decided to go it alone. I have a
considerable investment in Mac software, so I'd like to continue using one.
Specifically, I've got my eye on a PowerBook G3.

I would like to hear from other free-lancers who use laptops exclusively in
their work. I'm curious whether the benefits of mobile computing outweigh
the ergonomic limitations. Simply put, can a laptop be used successfully as
a free-lance technical writer's sole computer?

I'd also like to hear from free-lancers who use a Macintosh (either desktop
or laptop) exclusively. How painful are the cross-platform conversion
headaches, and is it worth it? (Please note that I am *not* seeking
comments on the merits of Windows and Mac. I use both daily. I'm simply
seeking input on Mac-to-Windows conversion problems, an area in which I
have little expertise.)

Thanks to all.

Tim Leslie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=