Re: Word Count Question

Subject: Re: Word Count Question
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:07:10 -0700

Susan writes:

> I am working on a huge translation project right now, and this is the
> first
> time I have ever done it. Every time I send files to the translator, I
> send
> a preliminary word count. The translator is concerned because their word
> counts are a lot higher than mine--and a few words here and there makes a
> big difference because we already have about 1 million words to do! The
> most
> probable reason for the difference is that I am just running Microsoft
> Word's Tools>Word Count function, and I am not counting words in footnotes
> (this is for help projects). Do any of you have any suggestions for
> counting
> words in footnote codes--and even as specific as counting only words with
> specific footnote codes?

Here are some suggestions:

1. Count text in footnotes. The translators will touch K and $ footnotes
since these are typically visible in the index and in related topics links.
Typically, they don't or shouldn't touch #, >, or A footnotes. Understand,
though, that this will not yield the most accurate word count. It will most
likely exceed the translatable word count.

2. Go to Translation Craft's web site at http://www.tcraft.com and download
HelpQA. It will tally the total and translatable word count. It seems to be
more accurate than Word. It will also check for consistency between topic
title and link text, and as well as some other items.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
ILE Communications Group
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Call me fishmeal.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=