Re: Proper Usage of Miss

Subject: Re: Proper Usage of Miss
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:20:20 -0500

Hallo:

When writing a letter, or some such, I am careful to use the title Mrs.
strictly for married women and Miss. for unmarried ones. If I do not know
and cannot find out, I use Ms. I seldom get the opportunity or have the need
to use these titles in my technical documentation, however. I would be
curious to know why the use of titles would be prevalent in tech docs?

I do have the frequent opportunity to interact with the general public in an
official capacity. Whenever addressing a woman, regardless of age and I do
NOT check for a ring, I address her as Miss. I do this because I suspect
more women will object to the title Ma'am than will object to Miss. Also, I
am uncomfortable saying: "Excuse me Mrs./Ms., may I help you . . .."

Sorry, I do not know of a reference source.

Stay safe.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=