Re: Dreamweaver Question

Subject: Re: Dreamweaver Question
From: "D. Berg" <debbieb -at- SIRS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:20:20 -0400

Thank you all for your responses. I'm actually
putting together a presentation on GOOD and BAD
design techniques. So the sound technique I am
inquiring about is one of my examples of what NOT
to do. I just wasn't sure how to do this in
Dreamweaver. I agree--don't force the user to
listen to sound! :-)

-D. Berg

Arlen P Walker wrote:

> I'm trying to import sound into Dreamweaver and
> make it so that the sound will load when the page
> downloads.
>
> Bad Idea. What's the URL of this page, so I know to avoid it?
>
> I've got this part figured out. But
> then I want the user to have the option of
> stopping the sound.
>
> You've got it reversed. You should provide a button so that viewers who
> want the sound can turn it on. It's never a good idea to annoy someone
> first, then make them take action to stop it; the action they take is more
> likely to be to resolve never to visit again. It's far better to offer
> them the option of adding sound if they want it. You could even go to the
> extent of putting their choice into a cookie, so that you start the sound
> automatically the next time they visit, based on the fact they asked for
> it.
>
> Have fun,
> Arlen
> Chief Managing Director In Charge, Department of Redundancy Department
> DNRC 224
>
> Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- Com
> In God we trust; all others must provide data.
> Opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.
> If JCI had an opinion on this, they'd hire someone else to deliver it.

D. Berg
Manager
CD-ROM Graphics Department
Sirs, Inc.