Re: Distributing DOT files via the intranet

Subject: Re: Distributing DOT files via the intranet
From: Jane Bergen <jbergen1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:43:19 -0600

Why can't you just make the .dot file available for downloading from a
web page? Include instructions for the user for how to copy it to his
or her template directory, etc. It should work, but there are a couple
of caveats:

* Use standard fonts like Arial and Times Roman. Using fancy fonts in
a template mean nothing if the user doesn't have the font installed.
Word will attempt to substitute and that may mean strange results!

* Include graphics in the file (not linked). For example, if you have
the company logo embedded in the header or footer, be sure that you
inserted it without linking it to the original.

* Make sure that all users are using the same version of Word that
you use. Otherwise the formatting can change.

Another tip, sometimes it's better to zip up the file and a readme
(both files in one zipped package). Aside from making it smaller,
things with the .zip extension just seems to travel through
internets/intranets a little smoother -- especially as attachments to
e-mail, although that's not necessarily relevant in your case.

If you don't want to let the users download the file, you'll need to
write a little installation program ... that seems like overkill.

Jane Bergen
jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net