Distributing DOT files via the intranet

Subject: Distributing DOT files via the intranet
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:21:19 +0100

A few weeks ago, I posted a question on how to distribute DOT-files via a
company Intranet. Unfortunately no-one replied, but perhaps this time
someone out there has an answer. The problem is the following:

Every employee in the organisation should be able to have access to the
latest versions of company templates. We do not want to distribute the
files physically to everyone because of version control and possible
(human) errors. A major problem is that not everyone in the organisation
can connect to the same dedicated server, but everyone can connect to the
Intranet. Therefore we want to distribute the Word 97 templates via this
intranet. Users should be able to surf to a site, click the template of
their choice, upon which Microsoft Word opens with this template.
We found out that we have to specify the proper MIME type (dot) and
Application Type (MSWord) on both the Client's browser and on the Server.
When this is done, MSWord is started all right, but with the template
itself, not wit a new document based on that template.
Now how can we get Word to open a new document based on that template? Is
this even possible?

I hope someone in that vast community of tech writers knows of a simple
solution to this problem, or even of a complex one. I would be obliged if
you'd share it with me (and 4000 others)

Thanks in advance

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
the Netherlands