Online docs in oil & gas

Subject: Online docs in oil & gas
From: Karen Farrell <kfarrell -at- GXT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:33:54 -0600

Hello all,

I am the lone writer in a company that produces software for the oil and
gas industry. We have recently moved some of our print documentation
online in PDF form. (We are a UNIX shop, and I use FrameMaker.)

Problem: Two of our developers HATE Acrobat and want our online docs in
HTML. Should this matter? (They don't use the docs themselves.) No, but
one of them is a VP, so it does.

My boss has asked me to discover two things:

1. What are other companies in the oil and gas industry (specifically
exploration and production) using and planning to use in the near future
for their online documents?

2. What type of online documentation do customers (specifically
geoscientists) prefer?

Some of our documents are rather large. (A recent PDF was 60 MB.) I
personally believe that we don't have the resources (one writer, five
products) to produce these types of documents in HTML and print, but I
was told to find out this information anyway and let the senior
management decide what to do with the info.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

--
Karen Farrell
Technical Writer

713.789.7250
kmf -at- gxt -dot- com

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. -Author Unknown

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=