Translator as a second audience

Subject: Translator as a second audience
From: David Harrison <david-x -dot- harrison -at- BAE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:14:52 +0000

Hi gang
I'm about to take up a new job that will involve reworking some User Manuals
(less than 50 pages) which will also be translated into common Euro-Languages.
It's the first time I'll have written with the translator as a secondary
audience and although I'm aware of avoiding traps like ambiguity, contractions
and gerunds, but there's probably a lot more that I don't know about.
It's two weeks till I begin so I'm starting to shop around for some useful
guides - Nancy Hoft's "International Communications" is probably at the top of
my shopping list. However, does anyone have any good tips or information
sources that they would care to share and help me get off to a good start.
If you want to answer direct I'll be glad to summarise and put the answers back
to the list.

PS I'll also offer my apologies, this topic may be in the archives but
unfortunately I don't have WWW access to search them.

TIA

Dave Harrison
(david-x -dot- harrison -at- bae -dot- co -dot- uk)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=