office/cube space

Subject: office/cube space
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:09:17 -0500

I don't know who I am quoting (as it was in an unattributed quote in another
message), but someone said:

> So what am I getting at? A function-defined environment. Cubes aren't
> too much cheaper than offices (have you ever priced a cube?)
(and then went on to talk about benefits of cubes).

I've grown to enjoy my semi-cube, but I do think cubes are cheaper than
offices. The "walls" for cubes may cost the same as putting up temporary (or
full) floor-to-ceiling walls for an office, but you can give people less space in a
cube (well, definitely less in a semi-cube).

The only space that is mine is a corner desk and the space for my chair, as
well as some space on a bookshelf and a file cabinet (both on the other side of
a public walkspace, as one cabinet behind me stores public materials). If I
were to have this little space in an office, #1: I couldn't have a door, unless it
opened into the hall or my office were larger, and #2: it would be claustrophobic.

I don't currently feel claustrophobic, because there are only two cube walls near
me (along the back of my desk), and I have lots of open space behind me and
to the side of me - also one of the "walls" in front of me is glass, further
extending the space I can see. On the other hand, I am much more productive
when I work from home, as I am not distracted by the surrounding
sounds/people.

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing