Re: Offices

Subject: Re: Offices
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:33:58 -0600

> So what am I getting at? A function-defined environment. Cubes aren't
> too much cheaper than offices (have you ever priced a cube?). They are
> used because they fascilitate employee workspace arrangement in larger
> office areas and allow for easier interaction with others on the same
> team.
>
> If we had offices in the environment I work in now, I can guarantee
> all our doors would be open all the time and at no point in the day
> would all of us be in our own offices at the same time.
>
> The idea of a private office is nice, but it all depends on how you
> need to work.
>
> Bill Swallow

I've worked in many combinations: shared an office (one time with two others
allowing each a 6x6 space); had an office to myself; shared a cube; had a
cube to myself; and once had a cubed-in space in the hallway. I am now in
an office by myself an prefer that best of all.

Some of the benefits I've found are as follows:

* I can shut the door and block outside sounds (though our bay is a
library when it comes to sound, I've been in others that are not). In a
cube I've had to listen to other music not of my choice (especially Country
and what tries to pass for Rock in the 90's). In one situation there was a
guy that was totally enamored with the recently divorced woman in the next
cube. He would sit and yak at her for hours. I knew more than I wanted to
know about his weekends four-wheeling or how much wood he has gathered for
his fireplace.

* I can shut the door to block my sounds from others. Therefore, I
have more privacy on the phone and to music (mostly modern jazz: Pat
Metheny, Brian Hughes, Warren Hill).

* I can shut the door to give the message that I am not to be
interrupted (along with unplugging the phone). However, this doesn't always
succeed (especially with some of the pre-sales people). In a cube, I always
looked accessible.

* Nobody is standing up on chairs carrying a conversation across my
cube or barking out from their seat. Man, do I hate that!

* No tall, rubber-necked, geeks peering over my walls every time they
cruise by.

* No flying objects thrown by some of the junior employees for stress
relief, landing in my space.

* I can change into my weight-lifting gear without having to leave the
office.

* I can adjust the lighting without affecting anyone else.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://maps.intergraph.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=